Bountiful Berries!

Spring has come and gone. Happy summer everyone!
















For my homestead, spring brought lots of amazing things including something delicious... Honeyberries!!!


The Honeyberry is an oval, teardrop-shaped fruit, that tastes very similar to a blueberry. The color is similar as well.

I have 7 plants all together in my garden, which this year... Gave us many many berries!

We had so many we froze a lot, so they wouldn't fall from the plant, onto the ground.





I will explain the process because it can be done with blueberries as well.


Normally, you would wash fruits before you freeze them, this is not the case with Honeyberries. The only things that you would want to get rid of are some leaves. And since the berry is very delicate, washing would damage it. So I will pick out any leaves and stuff like that after they're frozen.

So it's pretty simple. Just put the berries on a tray, and put them in the freezer.

About 24 hours later, they will be frozen. And that's it!

After that, you can use them for pretty much anything. I like using Honeyberries in the following...⬇

Oatmeal (for breakfast)
Popsicles (with lemon juice)
Crisps/Crumbles (substitute for blueberries)
Water (instead of ice cubes)

They are wonderful just as they are too!






Basically, anything that uses blueberries, you can use Honeyberries. You might need to add a little sugar because blueberries are sweeter.

If you can, I really recommend getting a Honeyberry plant. It will take a year or two, to get a good harvest, but I think it's well worth the wait.











For information on something below our bushes, see my brother's post.
Jrhomesteader       




-Jacey







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dill Harvest!

All about me; Where it all started

Healthy Living- Paused!!! ⏸